Valentine’s Day Pet Hazards

Valentine’s Day Pet Hazards

While you’re planning out your romantic holiday evening for two, keep someone else in mind as well—your pet! Valentine’s Day has its own set of potential pet hazards to be aware of. Here, a Woodland Park veterinarian lists the most common offenders.


Keep that heart-shaped box of chocolates under tight watch—if a sneaky pet swipes it and chows down, the harmful components in chocolate could poison them. Chocolate poisoning results in vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, seizures, and even potential coma and death. Not very romantic!


Certain candies, gum, and baked goods are sweetened with an artificial sugar known as xylitol. Xylitol is fine for us, but has potentially deadly qualities for our furry friends. Store all candies, gums, and baked goods far out of your pet’s reach to avoid the risk.

Holiday Flowers

Perhaps you’ve received a lovely bouquet of holiday flowers from your special someone. Make sure there aren’t lilies in it—did you know almost all species of the lily are toxic to cats? Store bouquets somewhere safe or throw out the lilies.

Roses are another common Valentine’s Day offender. While they’re not poisonous like the lily, the sharp thorns on their stems could cut your pet’s feet, and could puncture their intestines if swallowed. De-thorn roses with your pet out of the room, and store them safely away.


Thinking of lining the edges of a warm bath with some romantic scented candles? Go for it, but keep your four-legged companion somewhere else. It’s all too easy for an unsuspecting pet to swipe a tail or paw through an open flame. Not only could it burn them, it may startle them into knocking over one or more candles, potentially starting a house fire! If that’s not how you want to spend your Valentine’s Day, keep candle safety in mind.


If your holiday plans include adult beverages, keep a close eye on your drinks. Even small amounts of alcoholic beverages—including wine, liquor, beer, and champagne—can wreak havoc on pets’ systems. Clean up all spills immediately, and call your Woodland Park veterinary professional immediately if your pet does accidentally ingest some.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login